Artists based in the South of England are invited to propose an ambitious wall drawing for Aspex Guildhall , to be sited in the basement exhibition area at Portsmouth’s Guildhall for one year. Aspex Visual Arts Trust and Portsmouth Cultural Trust who run the Guildhall have been working together to present the work of emerging visual artists for the last two years. Aspex Guildhall’s changing exhibition programme has recently moved to the café on the ground floor of the building. An exciting opportunity is now open to artists to propose a wall drawing for a new commission for the basement exhibition space.
Working directly onto the Guildhall basement wall, the commissioned artist will produce a dynamic and original wall drawing, the progress of which will be open for the public to view both within the space and digitally. The finished work will remain on display for the duration of one year. The space available for the drawing is a straight wall approximately 16×2.5m (53x8ft). Proposals are invited from emerging artists based in the South of England. A £1000 fee will be awarded to the selected artist and a budget of up to £500 will be available for materials and expenses.
Deadline for submissions: Monday 22 August 2016, 10am.
Work to commence early September 2016, dates to be agreed with artist and venue.
• Short proposal outlining your concept and how it relates to the development of your practice (500 words max.)
• A sketched design of the proposed work
• An up-to-date CV. (Max 2 pages)
• Up to 5 images of previous work
• Will accept proposals by email only
• Please ensure that all material is Mac compatible
• Preferred image format is jpeg
• All files must be clearly labelled with your name
Please email proposals marked ‘Guildhall Wall Drawing’ to Tony Spencer, Exhibitions & Gallery Manager: email@example.com
(Photograph courtesy the artist, 2016)