Charlie is back with 30th episode of Longlive Radio for the Strong Island Sounds podcast:
This week I’m going to fill the whole show with hip-hop. I’m not claiming to be an expert, I’ve actually always been turned off by know-it-alls and snobs and the people who’ve influenced my love of music the most have been open-minded and inviting, rather than exclusive and elitist. In turn, I like it when someone comes at a genre with their own take, which is what I’ve tried to do here. Hip-hop has played as big a part in my musical upbringing as any other style of music and like most people who have a deep-rooted love of music, it’s signposted many different parts of my life.
I hope you enjoy my selection, there’s some really obvious staples and the odd one you might not have heard before. I kick it off with what’s been called the first ever rap record, but in keeping with my ethos to music, who gives a toss as long as it gets you in the gut and makes you feel.
Cheers, Charlie x
01) Here Comes The Judge – Pigmeat Markham
02) Back To The Hip Hop – The Troubleneck Brothers
03) Just A Friend – Biz Markie
04) Ping Pong – Antipop Consortium
05) Blue Flowers – Dr Octagon
06) 1-800 Suicide – Gravediggaz
07) N.Y. State Of Mind – Nas
08) She Watch Channel Zero?! – Public Enemy
09) Deception – Blackalicious
10) Peter Piper – Run DMC
from Sam’s Selection Box :
11) You Know My Steez – Gang Starr
12) Sons Of 3rd Bass – 3rd Bass
13) My Philosophy – Boogie Down Productions
14) Straight Outta Compton – NWA
15) Fallin’ – De La Soul & Teenage Fanclub
Listen to the podcast episode below, or you can listen, subscribe and download it from iTunes. You can also find the latest Strong Island Sounds podcast episode on the Strong Island homepage under the comments section too.