Charlie is back with the 24th episode of Longlive Radio for the Strong Island Sounds podcast:
Following on from last week’s show, which was very much a lesson in classic songwriting from greats like Dylan, Stevie & Phil Spector, I thought we’d pull a u-turn this time out and have just electronic music. No longer the black sheep of music, everyone’s dipped their toe into the much-chartered territories of programmed instruments these days. This playlist is just scratching the surface, all favourites of mine. As always, I could have gone on for days, but it’s not meant to be comprehensive, or The Best Of… Just a nice collection of top tunes.
When explaining in an interview why he plastered his face all over his records Richard D James said that “The sort of unwritten rule was that you can’t put your face on the sleeve [of techno records]. It has to be like a circuit board or something.”. So, to out-Aphex Aphex, I used an image of a circuit board for this compilation cover.
Hope you like it!
Cheers, Charlie x
01) Boing Boom Tschak – Kraftwerk
02) Windowlicker – Aphex Twin
03) Strings Of Life – Rhythm Is Rhythm
04) Roads Must Roll – Boom Bip
05) Moray Arrival – Minotaur Shock
06) Dundas, Ontario (remix) – Manitoba
07) Dayvan Cowboy – Boards Of Canada
08) Declination – Com Truise feat. Joel Ford
09) I’m 9 Today – múm
10) My Red Hot Car – Squarepusher
11) Axel F – Harold Faltermeyer
12) Inspector Norse – Todd Terje
13) Zodiac Shit – Flying Lotus
14) Long Singing – Fridge
Listen to the podcast episode below, or you can listen, subscribe and download it from iTunes. You can also find the latest Strong Island Sounds podcast episode on the Strong Island homepage under the comments section too.