We’re really excited to announce a new photography commission opportunity with Portsmouth’s New Theatre Royal. Unlike regular photography competitions this is in essence an open pitch and paid commission for the theatre’s Autumn/Winter brochure cover, and they are inviting photographers from all backgrounds to put forward ideas for the publication. We were really lucky to work with the theatre for the previous Spring/Summer brochure cover, which was shot on the shoreline at Eastney and New Theatre Royal and Strong Island are looking to share the opportunity to plan and shoot the next cover with Portsmouth’s photographic community.
So, how do you get involved? We’re inviting written proposals from photographers, accompanied by examples of previous photos, explaining their vision for their cover. Here are some key points and technical requirements to consider:
- The commission is for a cover photograph for the New Theatre Royal Portsmouth’s Autumn/Winter season brochure.
- The photograph will feature on 40,000 copies of the season brochure, and 60,000 copies of the season leaflet, and digitally online.
- The brochure is an A5 portrait design, in perfect bound format. The image is required to focus the image on the front cover, allowing for the New Theatre Royal Portsmouth’s logo, then wrapping around the spine to the back cover. Please refer to the Spring/Summer brochure design (see www.newtheatreroyal.com or pick up a copy from the theatre).
- Written proposals should include a theatre seat (as included in the Spring/Summer brochure design) and suggest a playful/witty use of a Portsmouth location.
- The commission fee is £200, and will be paid to the chosen photographer. The photographer will be credited on printed material.
- The deadline for proposals is Monday 25th March 2019. Proposals should include a brief written description of the location and idea for the cover, including the theatre seat, some examples of previous work, and address/contact details.
- The deadline for the chosen photographer to provide the chosen commission will be Monday 15th April 2019. The theatre seat will be provided on an agreed shoot date/time.
All proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We had a fantastic and fun experience working in partnership with NTR on the last cover and would recommend photographers getting involved. To enter all you need to do is come up with a concept. To illustrate the time required for the commission itself, it took about an hour to shoot on location plus an hour or two in pre and post production.
Terms & Conditions include:
New Theatre Royal will respond to all photographers who make a proposal. New Theatre Royal Portsmouth/Strong Island’s decision will be final, and we reserve the right to enhance the chosen photograph to work within the context of the brochure design and necessary title treatments. Any other questions please get in touch with New Theatre Royal.